Creating a New Path at blueFire Wilderness – Why blueFire
- The power of blueFire’s wilderness program lies in immersing clients in the wilderness setting to interrupt the pattern of negative behaviors, inspire a true desire for lifestyle change and identify a complete plan for long-term success. All skills and activities taught at blueFire wilderness program promote transferable skills, whether the confidence and self-awareness gained as one tries new activities or the acute awareness gained from setting and achieving goals.
- Our clients didn’t get to this point overnight and changes don’t occur overnight either. There are incredible benefits in changing the environment and offering an exciting wilderness experience to create real, lasting change in only a few short months. We guide teens to discover what is at their core – their hopes, their dreams, their abilities, their beliefs and how to overcome their challenges.
- We work in concert with parents and involved professionals to determine the most appropriate plan for long-term progress. As part of this family systems approach, parents participate in a multi-day family workshop where they will witness their child’s successes and address behavioral progress and ongoing concerns within the parent-child relationship. Preparing for the transition from blueFire wilderness program is a vital emphasis of treatment.
How blueFire Wildnerness Therapy is different
- Going above and beyond a typical wilderness program, blueFire Wilderness Therapy insists on involving the entire multi-disciplinary treatment team, which includes the psychologist, primary therapist, recreation therapist, academic director, family therapist, equine specialist and physician/RN.
- Why is this comprehensive wilderness approach so important to us and to our families? Let us give you an example: suppose Tim enrolls at blueFire as a teen struggling with anger, impulsivity control and depression. Tim might be a really bright kid so academics come easily, and he is easy to have in our academic program. Similarly, he might bond with our equine therapist and love horses. However, with our recreation staff Tim might be negative, combative and disruptive.
By working together as a team we learn of the challenges Tim is having with our recreation staff, and together we can draw conclusions and modify Tim’s treatment plan to address the reasons he might struggle.
- Very likely, there are specific challenges Tim is having with a recreation staff member that are applicable to Tim’s
relationship with others. We can use this specific example to help Tim process and view how he interacts or reacts to this situation and others like it. In this way, every client and family reaps the benefit of a team of adventure and clinical professionals working together to address specific issues and plans for the future.
- Families often tell us that their teen excels in certain aspects of life and struggles mightily in other areas. Therefore, we think this comprehensive, team-based therapeutic approach provides the highest quality care and best long-term outcomes.
Being Prepared at blueFire wilderness therapy
- The well being of each client is our top priority. We have extensive experience, as well as specific and exacting standards and procedures. We employ highly experienced clinical and wilderness field staff, who are trained Wilderness First Responders.
- Our team also includes a rock climbing guide and boating instructors to assist in safe adventure therapy experiences. Our Medical Director provides all physicals and consultations. We integrate the latest emergency safety systems, with 24-hour communication with and back-up on-call at our headquarters.
- With our team, our experience, our approach and a family’s trust in us, amazing changes can happen. We know because we see them every day.
Our team and program helps struggling teens and young adults grow
blueFire offers a unique back-country therapeutic experience that is conveniently close to modern resources, which combines traditional intervention with the proven benefits of wilderness therapy. We utilize high adventure training and activities, adventure therapy, equine therapy, multi-day expeditions and family systems to help teens make lasting changes.
Want to Learn More?
We're happy to answer any questions you have about blueFire Wilderness